Farmer’s Spicy Chili Cornbread Crisps Pie is the delicious “all-in-one” dish. With a filling of mouth-watering chili, and a baked crust made from hearty Cornbread Crisps, flour, egg, milk and cheese; this dish will soon find a spot on your regular rotation. The perfect meal for a warm, weekend dinner with the family!
Make your chili from scratch like we have or if you’re pressed for time, a chili packet or canned chili works just as well. Swap out pinto beans for black beans if those are your fave!
NOTE: For a one-dish dinner, use a cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet. If using a baking dish or casserole, cook the filling on the stovetop in a skillet or sauté pan; transfer to the baking dish before adding the Cornbread Crisps batter topping.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ c. frozen corn
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cornbread Crisps Topping
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ c. unbleached white flour
- ¾ c. Farmer’s Pantry Jalapeño Cornbread Crisps, ground
- ½ c. frozen corn
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 c. milk
- 2/3 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend (optional)
- Jalapeño for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until softened and translucent, about 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef to garlic and onion mixture and cook until browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat then add chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, ½ cup corn and beans; stir until mixed. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- While the meat simmers, make the Cornbread Crisps mixture: mix together the flour, ground Cornbread Crisps, baking powder, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, milk, pinch of salt and egg. Stir ½ cup of the corn and cheese into the Cornbread Crisps batter and set aside.
- Pour Cornbread Crisps batter into skillet, on top of the chili and spread into an even layer. Add sliced jalapeños on top if desired.
- Place skillet in oven and bake until Cornbread Crisps topping is cooked through and chili mixture is bubbling, 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Serve hot. Enjoy!